Makes 12 cupcakes
Note: Since making this recipe, I’ve read that most Italian meringues, like this one, also have butter folded into them for thickness and stability and are often called Italian buttercreams. I would recommend following such an Italian buttercream frosting recipe, as this simpler Italian meringue didn’t stand up beyond 24 hours. Or, you could all the cupcakes in 24 hours!
Steps – Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line 12 cup muffin tin with cupcake wrappers.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together coconut milk, stevia, lemon zest, lemon juice, and extract.
- Mix wet ingredients with dry and beat until smooth and slightly aerated.
- Scoop batter into muffin tin, filling each cup about 3/4’s full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes until a toothpick comes out of the center clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes in the pan; then remove to cool completely on a wire rack before frosting.
Steps – Meringue Frosting
- Whip egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form.
- Add cornstarch and lemon juice or cream tartar.
- Continue whipping until stiff peaks form.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, stevia, and salt.
- Dissolve stevia over high heat, stirring gently until boiling.
- Cook syrup until it reaches 248 degrees Fahrenheit; then remove from heat.
- Return mixer to medium speed and carefully and slowly drizzle hot sugar syrup into meringue.
- When all the syrup is added, add lemon extract, and increase speed to high and whip until stiff, glossy peaks form and the bowl is cool to the touch.
Pipe or spread meringue immediately onto completely cool cupcakes.