Happy accidents with an AllRecipes recipe…
(Original recipe called Mocha Walnut Cookies.)
- 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsps. instant coffee
- 2 tsps. hot water
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, loose
- 1/2 c. white chocolate chips
- In a medium to small mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small serving bowl, dissolve instant coffee with the 2 tsps. of hot water.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugars, instant coffee solution, and vanilla extract.
- In the microwave, in a glass microwave-safe bowl, cover 1 cup chocolate-chips and melt by heating 30 seconds at a time and then stirring. Heat for 30 seconds and then stir, alternating, until the chips are evenly and smoothly melted and chocolate is glossy.
Ok, here’s the happy accident: The o.g. recipe read to use 2 c. chocolate chips. I was trying to work quickly and I thought AllRecipes read to melt 1/2 the chocolate chips, that is 1 c. Actually, it read to melt a 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips. So, I put twice the melted chocolate in my cookies. It made their texture come out like crinkle cookies, which my family loves — so happy accident!
Note: I also added vanilla extract, switched the walnuts for white chocolate, and added the time short-cuts with the freezer and microwave.
- Add the egg to the large mixing bowl and beat into the creamed mixture until just combined.
- Add the melted chocolate and stir until combined totally.
- Fold in the remaining 1 cup chocolate chips and the 1/2 cup white chocolate chips.
- Cover the mixing bowl with a tea towel, plastic wrap, or foil and place in the freezer for 15 – 20 minutes to chill. (Don’t freeze the dough.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Arrange oven racks so one is in the top third and one in the bottom third of the oven.
- Cover 2-4 cookies sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the cookie dough into approximately 1 1/4 inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit with 1-2 cookie sheets on the top rack and 1-2 cookie sheets on the bottom rack for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, swap the top and bottom cookies sheets. Bake for another 5-7 minutes until cookies are just set, but still soft.
- Allow cookies to cool for 3-5 minutes on cookie sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Note: The cookies tend to be pretty hot still after just the 3 minutes of cooling. Molten chocolate retains heat like lava. An easy way to get them off the cookie sheets without having to touch them or use a spatula, just grab the parchment by one end and slide the whole paper with cookies on top onto the wire rack to cool. Gotta love parchment paper.