Happy accidents with an AllRecipes recipe…
(Original recipe called Mocha Walnut Cookies.)
- 1 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1/2 c. (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/2 c. white sugar
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsps. instant coffee
- 2 tsps. hot water
- 1 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips, loose
- 1/2 c. white chocolate chips
- In a medium to small mixing bowl, mix together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small serving bowl, dissolve instant coffee with the 2 tsps. of hot water.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter, sugars, instant coffee solution, and vanilla extract.
- In the microwave, in a glass microwave-safe bowl, cover 1 cup chocolate-chips and melt by heating 30 seconds at a time and then stirring. Heat for 30 seconds and then stir, alternating, until the chips are evenly and smoothly melted and chocolate is glossy.
Ok, here’s the happy accident: The o.g. recipe read to use 2 c. chocolate chips. I was trying to work quickly and I thought AllRecipes read to melt 1/2 the chocolate chips, that is 1 c. Actually, it read to melt a 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips. So, I put twice the melted chocolate in my cookies. It made their texture come out like crinkle cookies, which my family loves — so happy accident!
Note: I also added vanilla extract, switched the walnuts for white chocolate, and added the time short-cuts with the freezer and microwave.
- Add the egg to the large mixing bowl and beat into the creamed mixture until just combined.
- Add the melted chocolate and stir until combined totally.
- Fold in the remaining 1 cup chocolate chips and the 1/2 cup white chocolate chips.
- Cover the mixing bowl with a tea towel, plastic wrap, or foil and place in the freezer for 15 – 20 minutes to chill. (Don’t freeze the dough.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Arrange oven racks so one is in the top third and one in the bottom third of the oven.
- Cover 2-4 cookies sheets with parchment paper.
- Roll the cookie dough into approximately 1 1/4 inch balls and place about 2 inches apart on the cookie sheets.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit with 1-2 cookie sheets on the top rack and 1-2 cookie sheets on the bottom rack for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, swap the top and bottom cookies sheets. Bake for another 5-7 minutes until cookies are just set, but still soft.
- Allow cookies to cool for 3-5 minutes on cookie sheets before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
Note: The cookies tend to be pretty hot still after just the 3 minutes of cooling. Molten chocolate retains heat like lava. An easy way to get them off the cookie sheets without having to touch them or use a spatula, just grab the parchment by one end and slide the whole paper with cookies on top onto the wire rack to cool. Gotta love parchment paper.
One thought on “Mocha Chocolate Chip Crinkle Cookies”
These look amazing! Definitely going to make some of your creations on my weekends (: