So, made this up for my dad who’s allergic to shellfish and made it a while ago so I don’t really have photos. But, I definitely want to make it again sometime soon.
- 5 Tbsp. flour
- 5 Tbsp. butter
- Heat up slow cooker to high heat while you prep.
- Add chopped ham and chicken to slow cooker pot and cover with chicken broth.
- Par-cook sausage in microwave for ~1min., just long enough to make them firm enough to slice.
- Slice sausages and add to slow cooker.
- Dice onion, garlic, and celery, saving the tops of the celery stalks for their leaves.
- Slice carrots and chop roasted pepper and add all the veggies to the pot.
- Add all spices and bay leaves to the pot.
To Make Roux
- In a small pot on the stove, melt butter on high heat to medium high heat, stirring constantly being careful not burn the butter.
- While the pot is still on the stove, add the flour one Tbsp. at a time, whisking constantly until smooth.
- Stir over heat, whisking constantly, until all the flour is incorporated, mixture is thick and smooth, and has taken on a dark brown color (like the color of coffee with cream) with a nutty aroma.
- If it starts to burn or gains color too quickly, remove pot from heat while still whisking. In fact, the following is sometimes the easier way to control the heat:
- Add Tbsp. of flour while whisking on heat.
- Allow to gain a smidge of color.
- Remove heat while continuing to whisk. Whisk until smooth.
- Place pot back on the burner, add next Tbsp. of flour, and whisk. Allow it to gain a little color. Remove from heat while continuing to whisk.
- Repeat the process until all flour is incorporated, mixture is thick and smooth, and has taken on a dark brown color with a nutty aroma.
- Add the roux to the slow cooker and whisk.
- Simmer on high in the crockpot for 4 hours.
20 Minutes Before Serving
- Dice apple and chiffonade celery leaves; add to crockpot.
- Make and serve with rice if desired.