A.K.A. Carolina BBQ Sauce or Tangy Mustard BBQ Sauce for Pork & Chicken
My mom loved the “Golden BBQ” wings recently taken off the menu at Papa Gino’s. For Mother’s Day, I tried to recreate it. The recipe below is an amalgamation of memory and several different recipes. I don’t have many photos because we ate it too fast. It tastes just as good on grilled chicken, for which I have 0 pictures because we ate all of it. Oops!
- 1/4 c. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 – 1 tsp. cayenne (I used 1 tsp. and it came out a bit spicier than Papa Gino’s. Cut it down to 1/2 tsp. if you want it sweeter.)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. white pepper
- 1 c. Yellow mustard
- 1/4 c. molasses
- 1/4 c. honey
- 1/4 c. cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
BBQ Sauce Steps
- With a large mortar and pestle, grind all dry ingredients together to crush dried spices. Or, pulse a few short times in a food processor.
- Mix all wet and the dry mixed ingredients in a medium sauce pan.
- Bring to a boil over high heat stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes until reduced by 1/3 to 1/2, stirring occasionally.
- Place in an air tight container and let cool for up to 4 hours.
- Store in the refrigerator and may be kept for up to two weeks.
Roast Pork Ingredients
2 lbs. lean pork loin or other cut of lean pork for roasting
Roasting the Pork Steps
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the whole pork loin in an oven safe roasting pan with high sides or a Dutch oven.
- Cover on all sides with golden BBQ sauce.
- Flip the pork loin over. Spoon / pour more BBQ sauce over to just cover the meat. Keep any remaining BBQ sauce for basting.
- Smoosh the pork loin around a little in the pan to make sure there’s BBQ sauce underneath.
- Roast uncovered for 27 minutes to an hour on center oven rack.
- Baste with leftover BBQ sauce 2 or 3 times during roasting.
- Cook until thermometer reading is 155 degrees Fahrenheit while cooking and 160 degrees Fahrenheit after resting for 10-15 minutes.
- Slice thinly and serve.